Prayers God Will Answer...
This past Sunday I concluded the sermon with a list of "good" prayers. Several people asked to see that list again so here you go. Below you'll find a little bit of context or you can listen to the full sermon by tapping HERE.
Jesus has just proclaimed to his listeners that they shouldn’t worry about the speck in their brothers eye while they have a proverbial log in their own eye. I think the emphasis here is that we should not deflect the conviction that comes from hearing the previous truths that Jesus has talked about. Our tendency is to deflect conviction and focus on someone else’s speck. What we really need to do is deal with the glaring incongruence with the Kingdom of God that exists in our life. He then goes on to tell us precisely how we should respond. We should ask our Father. He is pleased to give us good gifts. This is where we must tread carefully in the way we define “good”. Jesus tells us that our Father is delighted to give His children good gifts. We need not look too far to come up with some good things to ask for…..Jesus has been talking about these kind of things. Here is a list of a few good prayers that our Father is pleased answer…
A list of good prayers from Matthew 5 & 6:
- Pray for God to help you forsake the love and service of money
- Pray for God to shape your yearnings (fasting)
- Pray for God to change your want to's....especially concerning prayer
- Pray for God to make you generous and open handed
- Pray for God to give you a love for your enemies and a burden for their soul
- Pray for God to let honesty flow through your speech and actions
- Pray for God to open your eyes to see the beautiful display of grace that is your marriage
- Pray for God to help you be satisfied with his provision and not lust over another man or woman
- Pray for God to kill your legalism and show you the anger/bitterness you harbor
- Pray that God will cultivate in you a love for the Bible that produces a worldview thru which you see the world
- Pray that God put you in dark places where your light would shine bright
- Pray that God would use you as salt wherever He deems it necessary
- Pray that God would make you faithful in persecution, a peacemaker in days of turmoil, pure in heart in the midst of perversion, merciful when all you want is justice, that he would make you hunger for righteousness, that he would make you meek rather than reactionary, that He would replace your calloused heart for one that mourns over sin, that he would show you your poverty so you would see your need of him.
If you feel like God isn’t answering your prayers, perhaps you haven’t been praying for “good” things. When we pray and ask our good Father to give us good things…..the way He defines good things…..we will see God answer prayers in a way that we never have before.